11.06.2007

French Onion Soup

I'm trying my hand at a French Onion Soup recipe from my favorite recipe website. That in itself has nothing to do with this post, except that my whole apartment smells of caramelizing onions and the windows are getting steamy with its happiness while I write. I've never made French Onion Soup before, but I love onions and it sounded like warm goodness. I'll have to let you know how it turns out. But on to our regularly scheduled topics.

Elephant

This is my second elephant, made and personalized for Audrey, my dear niece. The body is a delicious flannel, and the purple accents are fabric from her quilt. I've decided that I love the splayed legs, design flaw or not. The result is so endearing!

Elephant

And of course, the tail.

Elephant

We're going up to visit them for Thanksgiving, and I can't wait. My sister says that she's just started holding her own bottle. Rather, she grabbed it from her Dad's hands, as in, "I can do it just fine by myself, thank you very much. Thbbbt." Ah, Miss Independent, just like her Mama. She sounds amazing.

So despite the derth of posts, it's not like I haven't been working on anything! My biggest project right now is Burda's Steffi jacket. I'm making it in a rich burgundy baby-wale cord with a blue lining. The outer part is nearly done, and I just need to get to the lining. I think it will be the perfect Thanksgiving jacket, and I shall reporting more when it's done. But right now that's boring, at least in comparison to THIS:

Spun Wool

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am now spinning my own yarn! I ordered myself a bottom whorl drop spindle on Etsy, and I can't seem to put it down. Really, it's addictive. I was totally swayed by the yarn and batts over at hobbledehoy's Etsy shop. What amazing colors! But I had to figure it out first on a bit of roving that came with the spindle, and this is the result. Don't be deceived by scale, that little ball is less than 2" across. This isn't a volume business yet. But let me tell you, I carried my first two yards of yarn around, tickled pink. And now onto the good stuff! I'll let you know when there's more than 2 yards to report on :) Till then, be well!

No comments: