1.16.2009

Lush

Cape

I had a friend in my undergrad days, Heidi, who used worked an after-school job back home in a bridal salon. How cool is that? She knew everything there was to know about wedding dresses. One afternoon a bunch of us girls sat around and dished about our dream weddings. Heidi had some amazing dress picked out for each of us. I remember she described her wedding as a dramatic and glamorous winter affair, with hundreds of candles and a dress with a monster train. Funny, she's a professional opera singer now. How's that for glamor and drama?

This cape reminds me of her dream wedding. It's this deep, rich red velvet, lined in ivory satin, and it's intense. The thing probably weighs 10 pounds. The pattern is Butterick 4377, and their picture is just about exactly how mine came out. My pictures won't ever do it justice, so I'm not even going to try. But there's hope, cause someone else's will . . .

I made this sucker for my friend and photographer, Rachel. She's planning an art/bridal shoot, something wintery, snowy if there's snow, maybe a little antique-ish, and this cape is a part of that. I'm glad I was able to help her with this one, and I'm excited to see what she gets out of the shoot! Links to come, when she posts the results on her blog. Her pictures will be worth it!

No comments: